How to Participate
Wondering how a food swap works?
What to bring:
- All swap items must be homemade, homegrown, or foraged by you. Think breads, jams, pickles, granola, cheese, vinegar, beer, wine, eggs, fruit, herbs, etc.
- Bring as few or as many items as you like, within reason – the more you bring, the more you get to take home! Due to limited space, however, we ask that you do not bring along your entire pantry. Please use your best judgement when setting up and remember that 30-40 other people will be attendance as well, and we only have so much space!
- Please package/wrap your food in a way that protects it and makes the amount you are swapping clear. Fellow swappers will be examining your goods, and we want the food to stay in one piece.!
- If possible, bring samples for others to try.
- Print and fill out a Swap Bid Sheet for each unique type of food you are bringing to swap. For example, if you have 6 jars of identical jam, fill in one sheet. If you have 6 jars of different jams, fill in 6 sheets. Get it? DOWNLOAD THE SWAP BID SHEET: SFL Food Swap Bid Sheet
How the swapping will happen:
- Swaps will be auction style. Each swapper will have a bid sheet filled for each item they have to swap and a few lines under the item. Download the sheet in advance (SFL Food Swap Bid Sheet) or get sheets at the event. If possible, please print and fill in before the event.
- The first 30 minutes of the swap will be devoted to sign-in, set-up, and greetings.
- The next 30 minutes will be the time for everyone to walk around, examine, and sample items from the other swappers.
- Then, we’ll take 30 minutes for everyone to write down on the sheets of paper the items they would like to swap. Example: if Frankie has some pickles, you will write on her sheet of paper what you are willing to swap for it. Multiple people can put in swap offers for the same item.
- The final 30 minutes is when all the swapping actually happens. Everyone will go back to their original sheets of paper and look at their offers. They will decide which swap they would like to accept for each item, find that person via their name tag, and make the swap.
RSVPs are required through the Facebook event page. Registration information will be shared as it is made available.